Our corporate finance team is dedicated to making sure your business is successful.
The multi-award-winning Corporate Finance team cover a wide range of advisory services from strategic planning, raising finance and buying and selling companies and cover a variety of financial and corporate transactions for international groups, family-run businesses and SMEs.
Buying a Business:
Our clients commonly come to us as they’re looking to acquire a new business but need support with managing the entire process, whilst they are spending time running their business. Our team will go above and beyond to make sure the entire process of buying a business is both seamless and smooth.
The Corporate Finance team will:
- Develop your acquisition strategy
- Undertake thorough research to identify and approach target businesses across the UK and overseas
- Enhance your offer for the business you wish to target
- Secure finance and identify funding requirements
- Plan the tax requirements
- Undertake Due Diligence
- Work with your lawyer to project manage the deal through to completion
Selling a Business:
When you’re selling a business it is extremely important that you have the right plan in place. This can be family succession or an exit plan, whichever it is you need to ensure you’re getting the right value for your business. Our team specialise in selling privately owned companies to trade buyers in the UK and overseas. They will maximise shareholder wealth whilst making sure you get the right deal.
The team can:
- Help you to understand your shareholder objectives and strategic options
- Value your business
- Identify where you can enhance your business pre-sale
- Contact prospective purchasers confidentially, in the UK and overseas
- Prepare an Information Memorandum
- Negotiate with buyers and take lead on this
- Manage the sales process through to completion with effective project management
Responding to an approach to buy your business:
Businesses are commonly sold off market and when this happens, the owner must react quickly to ensure they make the right decisions if they have received an offer from a private equity or trade buyer. Our Corporate Advisers and corporate finance team will work with your lawyers, shareholders, advisers and senior management to complete the sale after the offer has been placed.
There are a few questions you will need to ask yourself when considering the sale:
- Is this initial offer based on true data or assumptions?
- What does the buyer know about you?
- Do you fully understand the offer and its value for you after tax?
- Is the company ready for an in-depth data room based financial due diligence approach?
- In modern financial due diligence, granular data is vital, can you identify this to allow a deal to progress over a one-month due diligence process?
- Does your data support what you have told your buyer?
We can give you the confidence you need to assist your directors and finance team to respond to the offer in a confidential manner.
Our financial modelling team manages cash flow forecasts, investment appraisals, structuring equity and debt funding. They are also experienced in evaluating complex strategic decisions to help our clients run their businesses efficiently. Our Corporate Finance and Tax teams will also work to give you the best advice possible regarding your cash flow and how to improve it. This can cover identifying your eligibility for tax credits, reviewing capital allowances and working on your payments of VAT and PAYE.
The corporate finance team at MHA Tait Walker Newcastle are highly experienced in management buyouts and providing efficient support and advice. They can cover Management Buyouts by assisting the team in buying non-core assets or the company from owners. Vendor Initiated MBOs assisting the owner in retiring and offering the management the option to buy with a fixed price and paying the remainder over time. Finally, Management Buy-Ins, when the buyer knows the business but does not already work within the company. The team can structure a resilient deal through vendor advice, management team or Newco advice, financial forecasting and business planning and financial due diligence for the funder.
Raising Equity Finance:
At any point in a business’s life cycle, raising finance can be difficult, especially when looking to expand, refinance or release value. Working with management and private shareholders our team will fully support the process of raising private equity and debt finance, finding the best solution for the client.
The Corporate Finance team can:
- Develop your business plan, strategy, forecasts and financial modelling
- Access and identify funding opportunities
- Present the opportunity to potential funders
- Negotiate the best funding package and manage this to completion
Working alongside our clients we will carry out strategic reviews of the business, assessing the position of the company to support growth, job retention and shareholder value. We will value your business – referencing sustainable profitability, maximise and develop a medium-term financial plan, identify ways to maximise shareholder value and outline a clear strategic route with specific milestones.
Financial Due Diligence:
If you’re a trade buyer or funder we can aid your financial due diligence requirements. The team have experience in working with international PLCs, all major UK banks, UK based trade buyers and local and national private equity funders. We have a wide knowledge base of family-owned businesses and SMEs, offering only top quality ‘big four’ accountancy firm service. Before committing to buy a business we will focus on traditional financial due diligence and historic balance sheets and trading, so you can understand any issues. The team will work closely with the data insight team to validate and evidence forecast growth for both internal management information and external data for the target company.